Recipe: Pork Chops with Garlicky Broccoli
Pork Chops with Garlicky Broccoli
• 1½ pounds broccoli with stems, trimmed and cut into spears
• 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
• ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
• ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 4 (4 ounce) boneless pork chops, trimmed
• ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
• Chopped fresh thyme for garnish (optional)
• Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
• Toss broccoli with 1½ tablespoons oil on the prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Broil, stirring once, until charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
• Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a shallow dish. Place flour in another shallow dish and egg in a third shallow dish. Sprinkle pork with ¼ teaspoon salt, then dredge in the flour, shaking off excess; dip in the egg, letting excess drip off; and coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
• Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook, turning once, until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 145°F, about 6 minutes total. (If the pork is browning too quickly, reduce heat to medium.) Transfer to a plate and drizzle with lemon juice. Tent with foil.
• Wipe the pan clean. Add the remaining 1½ tablespoons oil, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over low heat, stirring, until the garlic is sizzling, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Drizzle over the reserved broccoli and toss to coat. Serve the pork and broccoli with more Parmesan and thyme, if desired.
Nutrition information Serving size: 1 pork chop and 1 cup broccoli
• Per serving: 543 calories; 37 g fat(9 g sat); 6 g fiber; 20 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 115 mcg folate; 121 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,257 IU vitamin A; 153 mg vitamin C; 162 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 725 mg sodium; 925 mg potassium