Recipe: Lemony Lentils with Kale
Lemony Lentils with Kale
"Lemon brightens up these lentils for a zesty and inexpensive meal. Serve with a crusty baguette."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 pound green lentils
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and carrot in the hot oil until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, thyme sprigs, kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook and stir to coat, 1 minute.
- Stir lentils, tomatoes and their juice, and chicken stock into onion mixture. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Add kale, lemon zest, and lemon juice; cook until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
Per Serving: 356 calories; 8.4 g fat; 54.7 g carbohydrates; 19.8 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 449 mg sodium. Full nutrition