Healthy Living October 24th & Pumpkin Bars Recipe
Avera Medical Group Worthington Dietitian Darlene Dewitt talks about Pumpkin Day & Pumpkin Bars Recipe.
- 1/4 cup 60% to 70% tub-style vegetable oil spread, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar Splenda blend
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 egg
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 1 cup frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
- Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine vegetable oil spread, brown sugar Splenda, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed. Beat in pumpkin and egg. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Spread dough into prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in half of the dessert topping. Fold in remaining dessert topping. Spread over cooled pumpkin layer. If desired, sprinkle with nutmeg. Cut into 12 bars.
Nutrition information (12 servings)
- Serving size: 1 bar
- Per serving: 150 calories; 4 g fat(2 g sat); 2.6 g fiber; 22 g carbohydrates; 2.9 g protein; 20 mg cholesterol; 9.8 g sugars; 732 IU vitamin A; 140 mg sodium